Tuesday, October 22, 2019

October 22 2019 - Pope St. John Paul II - Love of the Shepherd

As many of you know, I was able to study in Rome in the year 2004. I was still five years away from ordination, but during those months I was certainly confirmed in my vocation and my desire to serve the Church in many ways. This was especially true on the morning of Holy Thursday, as we gathered for the Chrism Mass at St. Peter’s basilica. I had a great seat, right on the aisle, I would be able to see Pope John Paul II as he processed to the altar. I had seen the holy Pope from a great distance before at World Youth Day in Toronto, and several times during that semester as we gathered from Wednesday Audiences and the Sunday Angelus’, but this was as close as I’d ever be. And I swear as this frail Pope processed toward the altar, he looked right into my eyes and it was as if Jesus Himself were looking at me in love. And I got an overwhelming sense that my path toward the priesthood was the right one.

Many people still speak of powerful encounters with Pope John Paul and the miracles that surrounded him. But I’ll never forget his loving gaze.

The Gospel for this memorial retells the Lord’s invitation to Peter to love him. No doubt, St. John Paul, a successor of Peter, loved the Lord immensely. And his love of the Lord enabled John Paul to truly feed the Lord’s flock with a shepherd’s heart. The love of the shepherd emanated from the holy Pope, it shined from his eyes and his embrace of the poor in his world wide travels, logging over 725 thousand miles in travels, visiting corners of the globe that no Pope had previously visited, proclaiming, as we said in our psalm, “God’s marvelous deeds to all the nations.” He was truly a missionary Pope that taught us to be courageous in spreading the Gospel.

“Do you love me” the Lord asks to each of us. Then “feed my sheep.” May each of us take up the invitation to love and to feed with the truth, goodness, and beauty of the Holy Gospel for the glory of God and salvation of souls.

- - - - - - -

That through the teaching, preaching, and pastoral care of the Church all Christians will grow in their love of the Lord Jesus.  We pray to the Lord.

That we may all benefit from the heavenly intercession of Pope St. John Paul II, especially in this time of “spiritual turbulence.”

For all missionaries who seek to bring the Gospel to the margins and marginalized.

For all the needs of the sick and the suffering, the homebound, those in nursing homes and hospitals, the underemployed and unemployed, victims of natural disaster, war, and terrorism, for all those who grieve the loss of a loved one, and those who will die today, for their comfort, and the consolation of their families.

For the repose of the souls of our beloved dead, for all of the poor souls in purgatory, for the deceased members of our families, friends, and parish, for the deceased clergy and religious, and for those who have fought and died for our freedom.

Incline your merciful ear to our prayers, we ask, O Lord, and listen in kindness to the supplications of those who call on you. Through Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment