Tuesday, October 31, 2023

22nd week after pentecost 2023 (EF) - Monday - Last EF Mass at St. Ignatius of Antioch

 A reading from the epistle of St. Paul to the Philippians

Brethren, I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus. It is right that I should think this way about all of you, because I hold you in my heart, you who are all partners with me in grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the Gospel. For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer: that your love may increase ever more and more in knowledge and every kind of perception, to discern what is of value, so that you may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God. 

A continuation of the holy Gospel according to St. Matthew

[At that time], the Pharisees went off and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech. They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying, "Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion, for you do not regard a person's status. Tell us, then, what is your opinion: Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?" Knowing their malice, Jesus said, "Why are you testing me, you hypocrites? Show me the coin that pays the census tax." Then they handed him the Roman coin. He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?" They replied, "Caesar's." At that he said to them, "Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."

- - - -  

As I have shared, it has been a great honor being able to celebrate the Extraordinary Form with you these last few years.

And I couldn’t think of better readings for our final Extraordinary Form mass than the ones God’s providence has provided for us today. For they contain wonderful lessons for the future.

In all of life’s challenges, joys, blessings, crosses, losses and successes, we must give to God what belongs to God. We must love God with our whole, heart, mind, soul, and strength, obey his commandments and cultivate the divine life within us. Only when we give to God what belongs to God will we possess the strength of faith needed to face life’s challenges, not to mention the great challenges the Church will inevitably face in the coming days. When we give to God what belongs to God we receive so much more than we give, for God is not outdone in generosity. We receive peace, patience, fortitude, and courage.

Here is a vital lesson for the discouraging times in which we live. That no matter what, no matter the losses we experience, even the loss of cherished things, we must never stop rendering to God what belongs to God, especially love, worship,
and obedience.

The epistle also contains a vital lesson. Having witnessed the faith of this community over the past few years, I can echo those words of St. Paul in the epistle: “Brethren, I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.” There is great hope for the Church of Cleveland, God has begun good work in your souls—the spark of supernatural faith has already been kindled. Continue to fan it into flame, protect it from worldly influences, and the attacks of the enemy, especially from discouragement. 

I don’t know about you, but while some parts of the Church seem to be falling asleep, there are also parts of the Church which seem to be waking up. And that’s exciting and wonderful. 

I do not know how much I will be able to assist with the remaining Latin Masses in the Diocese, but please know that this community has left an unforgettable mark on my heart, and you will be in my prayers often. And this is my prayer, to echo, again, St. paul in our epistle this evening, that your love may increase ever more and more” for the glory of God and the salvation of souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment