Friday, March 17, 2023

March 17 2023 (school mass) - St. Patrick's Breastplate - Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me

 “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.”

This beautiful prayer was written by St. Patrick himself, over 1,500 years ago. The prayer is often called the “Breastplate of St. Patrick”. A breastplate is a piece of armor worn by soldiers to protect them in battle from the swords and arrows of their enemies. St. Patrick's breastplate is a prayer that invokes the divine protection of Jesus Christ like a suit of armor. 

St. Paul tells Christians to put on the armor of Christ—armor by which God wants to protect us from evil. There are many forces in this world that are evil, that seek to lead us away from God. Evil wants to take root in our life so that we never think of God or what God wants for us. Evil that wants us to be selfish, self-absorbed, jealous, envious, hateful, rude, disobedient, lustful, violent, irreverent and profane. Evil does not want you to follow God, pray to God, love God, have faith in God, or hope in God. Evil does not want you to love Jesus, imitate Jesus, or even think of Jesus.

And because there is so much evil in the world that opposes God and hates us and seeks to ruin our lives, St. Paul told Christians to put on the armor of Christ. And St. Patrick, that great apostle to the land of Ireland, gave us that beautiful prayer. 

“Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down, Christ when I arise”

No athlete, social media influencer, Tiktocker, Hollywood actor, video game hero, social activist or politician has the power to armor you from evil. These people will not be there when you are in trouble or facing the challenges of your life and in the dark times of life. Only Christ. Only Jesus Christ can be with you always to armor your and defend you, to lift you up when you have fallen.

Learn from the example of St. Patrick. He's not just a saint for irish people, his example is important for the whole Church. Make Jesus Christ first in your life. Seek to become like him, preach the Word of God like him, treat others like Him, heal like Him, reconcile people to God like Him. Invite him into your life more deeply so that he is with you when you wake, when you eat, when you go to school and work, when you relax, when you speak. Invoke Christ to be your armor and your shield today and all days, for the glory of God and salvation of souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment