Friday, December 3, 2021

December 2021 - First Friday Holy Hour - The Eucharist and the healing of spiritual blindness


 Then he touched their eyes and said, “Let it be done for you according to your faith.”

In today’s Gospel, the Lord heals two blind men.  The healing of physical blindness in this instance comes when faith is placed in Jesus as the Son of God. This points to the spiritual healing that comes through the Christian faith. The Lord restores our senses and opens the eyes of our soul when we place our faith in him. 

In Eucharistic Adoration, we have the wonderful opportunity to kneel in faith before the same Lord and Divine Physician who healed the blind men in the Gospel. And just like it was for those blind men, this act of faith can be a conduit of healing for ourselves and our loved ones. 

The blind men in the Gospel could not see the Lord, but cried out “Have pity on us.”  They recognized their blindness, they recognized their need for healing, and they recognized that they cannot heal themselves.

Recognizing our blindnesses, those times when we have looked to gods other than Christ to save us, let us call upon the Lord, “have pity on us…come close to us and heal us that we may be restored that we may be healed, that our fracture hearts and fractured lives may be made whole.”

Listen to these words offered by St. Alphonus Ligouri about the healing of spiritual blindness. He writes as if kneeling in front of the Lord, gazing upon and adoring his goodness, just as we are doing tonight.

“My dear Redeemer, how I have been so blind as to abandon you—who are infinite goodness, and the fountain of all consolation—for the miserable and momentary gratifications of the senses? I am astonished at my blindness, but I am still more astonished at your mercy, which has so bountifully borne with me. I thank you for making me aware now of my folly, and of my obligation to love you. I love you, O my Jesus, with my whole soul, but I desire to love you with greater fervor. Increase my desire and my love. Enamor my soul of you, who are infinitely loveable; of you, who have left nothing undone to gain my love; of you, who so ardently desire my love. “If you will it, you can make me clean.”

Ah, my dear Redeemer, purify my heart from all impure affections, which hinder me from loving you as I would wish! It is not in my power to inflame my whole heart with the love of you, and to make it love nothing but you. This requires the power of your grace, which can do all things. Detach me from every creature, banish from my soul every affection which is not for you, make me all yours…I resolve to consecrate all the days of my life to your holy love; but it is only your grace that can make me fulfill this resolution. Grant me, O Lord, this grace for the sake of the Blood which you shed for me with so much pain and so much love. Let it be the glory of your power to make my heart, which was once full of earthly affections, now become all flames of love for you, O infinite Good. O Mother of Fair Love, O Mary, by your prayers, make my whole soul burn, as yours did, with the charity of God.”

This evening, in the silence of adoration, ask the Lord to come close to you to heal any spiritual blindness that afflicts you. Ask the Lord to have pity on you and your family and this parish. Ask him to bring his healing to the blindnesses of those in our neighborhood, especially those blind to his love the salvation offered through him, for the glory of God and salvation of souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment