Friday, September 11, 2015

Homily: Friday of the 23rd Week in OT 2015 - Removing the plank

It is part of our fallenness to notice the failings of other people but not our own. Some of us have even become experts in criticizing others whereas we seldom reflect on what needs to change in ourselves. Many of us think we have 20/20 vision when it comes to seeing the mistakes of others, but never turn our gaze inward, to reflect on how God is calling us to change our hearts.

The Lord commands us to remove the wooden planks from our eyes, so we can be effective in removing the splinters from others.  But, how do we come remove the planks blinding us?  The saints recommend the frequent practice of the examination of conscience.  On a daily basis, perhaps before getting into bed at night, to examine the events, choices, attitudes, interactions of the day, in light of the teachings of Jesus.

To think of every person you saw that day, and to ask yourself, did I treat that person with the patience I should have? Did I attend to their needs or focus on my own? Someone once said, “you want to know the measure of a man? watch how he treats a waitress.”  What was the reason I was so quick to gossip about the faults of my family members?  Did I pray today as much as God is challenging me to pray?  Where was I selfish with my time today? What blessings was I ungrateful for today?

Faithfully examining the conscience takes real humility, the humility to admit that I’m not perfect, I don’t treat people as I should, I don’t love God as much as I should. Maybe we are hesitant to practice this daily examination of conscience because we are afraid to see just how big those planks really are.  But without humility there can be no growth in the spiritual life.  And if we are not growing spiritually, it is likely that we are stagnating or backsliding.

Only when we ourselves have come to the Father, seeking mercy for our own specks, can we ever hope to be effective speck-removers for others, as Jesus calls us.

May we, recovery of our own sight through self-examination, repentance, and focus on the merciful face of Christ, that we may lead others to that same fount of mercy for the glory of God and salvation of souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment