Friday, January 24, 2014

Homily: January 24 - St. Francis de Sales - Practical Piety




A young mother once wrote to St. Francis de Sales when he was Bishop and said, Bishop I’m trying very hard to live a good life, to be holy, but I can’t get to Mass every day because I have these seven children who are driving me crazy.  Francis de Sales wrote back to her and said “Madam, you should not go to Church every day; you become a Saint by being the best mom you can be.” 

Now he’s not saying here that you shouldn’t go to daily Mass.  But love and growing in holiness are very practical things; that a mother shouldn’t neglect her duties as a mother, in order to come to daily Mass.  Conversely, a mother shouldn’t be wrapped up in the world, that she neglects her duties as a Christian, either.

To serve the many people entrusted to his care, as a Bishop, St. Francis de Sales became a prolific writer—he writings comprise 26 volumes.  Two of his books have become spiritual classics, and continue to be published and read to this day: The Introduction to the Devout Life, and The Treatise on the Love of God, in which he offers profound advice for the person living in the midst of the world, who wishes to pursue a holy life.

He truly believed that all people, in all walks of life, are called by God to a devout life.  He often offered very practical suggestions for navigating through the temptations presented by the world and for making progress on one’s spiritual journey.  He spoke of the importance of prayer and value of the sacraments, but also the role of friendship and virtue.

The Lord gives us all opportunities to love every day.  Free time that we might selfishly devote to our own pursuits, that should generously be turned to his service.

St. Francis de Sales is the patron saint of authors and journalism.  He is the patron saint of spiritual directors; that they may give wise and practical guidance to those in their care.  He is also the patron of the deaf because he developed a method of teaching a young deaf person the catechism. 


I conclude with a simple, practical prayer, composed by St. Francis de Sales: “My God, I give you this day. I offer you, now, all of the good that I shall do and I promise to accept, for love of you, all of the difficulty that I shall meet. Help me to conduct myself during this day in a manner pleasing to you. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment