Friday, June 21, 2013

Homily: June 21 - Saint Aloysious Ganzaga - Patron Saint of AIDS patients and their caregivers

In 1591, a plague struck Rome and the Jesuits opened up a hospital.  A young Jesuit novitiate who was already known for his intense love for Christ, was prompted by that love to dedicate himself to serve the sick and needy.  He nursed the sick, washed them, made their beds.  He caught the disease himself, and when he could no longer rise from bed from his weakness, he maintained a great discipline in prayer for the sick.  He died at the age of 23.  Only 14 years later he was beatified, and later canonized; we honor him today as Saint Aloysious Ganzaga.

Born into a noble family in Reissuance, Italy, he saw was exposed to a society of corruption, brutality and lusts of the most hideous kinds.  In fact, growing up in 16th century Florence was not very different from growing up in 21st century America.  It was a lax, morally careless, self-indulgent age.  Aloysius saw the decadence around him and vowed not to be a part of it. 

By age 11 he was teaching the catechism to poor children and fasting three days a week.  He joined the Jesuits despite great resistance from his family.

He is often shown in Christian art and stained glass windows as a young man wearing the black cassock of the Jesuits and contemplating a crucifix or praying to the Blessed Virgin  He is in the patron saint of catholic youth and teenagers, and also AIDS patients and their care-givers.

I will conclude with the prayer of self-commendation to the Blessed Virgin, which is quite beautiful, that we may make his prayer and his love for Jesus and Mary our own:  “O Holy Mary, my Lady, into your blessed trust and safe keeping and into the depths of your mercy, I commend my soul and body this day, every day of my life, and at the hour of my death. To you I entrust all my hopes and consolations, all my trials and miseries, my life and the end of my life. By your most holy intercession and by your merits, may all my actions be directed and disposed according to your will and the Will of your divine Son.”



No comments:

Post a Comment